News: Archived News

Ray Rice's future in arbitrator's hands as appeal ends

Friday, November 7, 2014  
Posted by: Carla Schlist, Membership & Communications Manager
Share |

Ray Rice's future in arbitrator's hands as appeal ends

Lorenzo Reyes, USA TODAY1:36 p.m. EST November 7, 2014



NEW YORK — The Ray Rice arbitration appeal hearing has finished.

"It's over," Rice's attorney Peter Ginsberg said Thursday as he left the midtown building where the hearing was heard.

The hearing lasted two days and included testimony from Rice, his wife, Janay, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, among others.

Former U.S. District Judge Barbara S. Jones placed a gag order on the proceedings, prohibiting all sides from talking publicly about the case.

As Ginsberg walked away from the building, he was asked if the hearing went as expected.

"Generally speaking, yes, but I'm really not going to talk about it."

The NFL Players Association released a statement Thursday afternoon which read: "The NFLPA thanks Judge Barbara Jones for presiding over a fair and thorough hearing. This is the first time in the history of our League that a disciplinary hearing has been conducted pursuant to a joint agreement on a neutral arbitrator. We commend NFL owners and officials for the wisdom of this decision which enhances the credibility and integrity of our business.

"The collectively bargained rights of all players must be vehemently preserved and we take that obligation seriously. This appeal, presided over by a neutral arbitrator, which included a presentation of all the relevant facts, witness testimony to the truth and cross examination, is the due process that every athlete deserves."

Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome was among the first to arrive Thursday morning.

Rice and his wife, Janay, arrived together in a black car around 9:20 a.m. ET.

At 3:10 p.m ET, Ray Rice's car backed into the loading dock before its gates were shut. Security guards covered up windows to prevent Rice from being photographed, but as the car rolled out into traffic, Rice was spotted in the backseat.

Janay was seen leaving the building around noon through the rear entrance before hopping in a different car that drove off.

It's unclear when Newsome left the building.